As promised, I am writing a post about one of the superfood powders I use and why 🙂 I will write about others as well but for now, this one is the one I want to tell you about first.
Spirulina is a type of algae that grows in freshwater and is blue / green in colour.
You have probably heard of this mighty green superfood already (definitely if you read my posts and recipe’s 😉 ) but this algae has been said to be the most nutritious food source on the planet and this is down to the amount of nutrients it contains.
For example; 1 tbsp. has the below (taken from Authority Nutrition.com) – talk about a powerhouse superfood!
- Protein: 4 grams.
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamin): 11% of the RDA.
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin): 15% of the RDA.
- Vitamin B3 (Niacin): 4% of the RDA.
- Copper: 21% of the RDA.
- Iron: 11% of the RDA.
- It also contains decent amounts of magnesium, potassium and manganese, and small amounts of almost every other nutrient that we need.
It’s so nutritious that they use it in Space to keep the astronauts healthy!
There are so many benefits but here are the reasons I use this powder 🙂
- Nutrient dense
- High digestible protein content – works out to be between 50-70% protein
- Contains all of the essential amino acids
- Boosts your immune system and reduces inflammation due to high levels of GLA
- High levels of calcium and magnesium essential for bone, muscle and nerve health
- Scientific studies have reported that it can prevent / treat lots of health conditions, such as; type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, anaemia, hay-fever / allergies, arthritis and many more
How to incorporate it into your diet?
- Use it stirred into porridge
- Add it to your smoothie / smoothie bowl
- Use it in your soups and stews
- Add it to your drinks
- Buy it in capsules and take them as you would a vitamin
Be warned, a small amount is all you need as this algae tastes just like…an algae! 😉
Be happy and healthy 🙂